Saturday, January 1, 2011

30 Letters in 30 Days: Day Fifteen- The persoon I miss most

Dear Poppa,
          I miss you more than words can say. I miss the smell of your Old Spice and the way you’d tap your beer can, from the time I could walk I knew that meant you needed a fresh one. I miss the way you looked at Mammie. I miss hearing stories about your childhood growing up with 17 brothers and sisters, the Navy, and all the lessons you’d learned in your life. I miss the way your stubble would scratch my cheek when I went to give you a kiss, the way everyone snapped to attention when you raised your voice, it was such a rarity we always knew it must be important.
          I must be thankful to whoever is in charge of this universe for giving us time to say goodbye to you. Losing you was so painful but I cherish the fact that I was able to sit with you, your eyes communicating words you could no longer say. Having those last days to tell you how much I love you and to memorize the feel of your hand in mine was nothing short of a blessing.
          It’s so hard without you here. Aunt Jane doesn’t do family holidays anymore, because they just remind her that you’re gone, you were her very best friend. Gabe is terrified of the number 77, the date September 28th, and the word cancer. It’s hard to believe that another one of his great grandfathers died exactly a year after you, at the same age you were when you passed, and also had cancer. It has been hard on everyone, but like always it is you that keeps us together. You taught us all the importance of family and love.
Missing you quite terribly,
The little one

No comments:

Post a Comment