Thursday, December 23, 2010

30 Letters in 30 Days: Day Six - A Stranger

Dear Stranger,
          I wonder if you’d look at me twice if we passed each other on the street. Who am I kidding, I live in the woods. We’re much more likely to pass each other while walking through a Wal-Mart. But regardless. I wonder if you’d notice me. I’m not all that impressive. Short skinny white girl in New Hampshire, I’m not exactly a rarity. I wonder what you’d think. I’m not exceptionally pretty (unless you ask my boyfriend, friends and family. But they’re biased anyway.) I’m not some fashionista, I love clothes and shopping, but I’m more of a jeans and a t shirt girl.
          Would you think I was someone you could be friends with? You probably could. Unless you’re a shitty person, and even then I’ve been known to lower my standards.  And by lower, I mean completely disregard in some cases.
          Would the smile on my face make you smile back? Or would it make you assume that my life is perfect, and therefore make you hate me a tiny bit? I hope the former, because my life is anything but perfect. Maybe you’d have the ability to see the pain within. Who knows?
          Stranger, whoever you are, I hope your life is going well. I hope that the worst day of your future be as painless as the best day of your past. I hope whatever you are battling (we’re all fighting some war or another) does not overcome you. I hope that your life exceeds your dreams. I hope you forgive, but never forget. I hope you go out of your way to help someone. I hope you say “thank you” as often as possible, but only say “sorry” if you really mean it. I hope you know what a beautiful person you are, and I hope you know that someone loves you. You might think no one does, but even if they don’t, I do.
-the girl who’d love to meet you

No comments:

Post a Comment