Wednesday, December 22, 2010

30 Letters in 30 Days: Day Five - My Dreams

Dear Dreams,
Thank you for vanishing. That might sound sarcastic, but I’d rather you be gone than have you constantly changing. Well not really gone, but lessened. For years it was “fall in love, get married, have babies, be a teacher.” Then it was “fall in love, get married, have babies, and be an addiction counselor.” Now it’s “stay hopelessly in love, marry the fool, have kids with him, and be happy in whatever I do.” I like the whatever. I like the lack of pressure. Staying in love will be almost comically easy, since even when I tried not to be in love with him I continued to fall further and further into the insanity known as love. Getting married, well we’ve talked about it, we want to do it. All I need is a ring and like $800 for my dream dress (the only thing I really care about as far as things people buy for weddings.) Having kids also seems pretty easy, I mean, half my graduating class has already managed to do so. Be happy in whatever I do. That’s a freeing thing. Not be a  this or be a that. Be happy. I feel like that should be on everyone’s list of dreams/aspirations/goals. I also feel like it’s a LOT harder than it sounds. “Be happy” easy to say, easy to spell, but hard to do. Happiness is all about decisions. You have to decide what you want to do and who you do/don’t want in your life. And that’s only half of it. Then you have to make something happen as a result of making those decisions. It’s easy enough to say “I want this” but you have to go out and get it. Dreams aren’t meant to fall into your lap. If they were, they wouldn’t be dreams, they’d be dogs (sorry if that doesn’t make sense, I was trying to think of what to say, looked up and saw the dog with her face on my mom’s lap lol.) So look out dreams, here I come.
-me

No comments:

Post a Comment